Friday, September 5, 2008

Evacuation traffic

Last weekend our family gathered in Hattiesburg for my grandfather's funeral. Grandpa George had been sick for over a month. He had west nile virus, acute renal failure, and possibly a stroke. Needless to say, our family has been very sad this past month. After the funeral Saturday, we packed up early Sunday morning to get ahead of the traffic that was evacuating the coast - Hurricane Gustav was coming. What should have taken a little more than an hour on I-59 took us 2 1/2 hours. As we sat in traffic, I started to get more emotional than I expected. I looked at all of the Louisiana tags - loaded down with trailors, dogs, food, kids... These people had their most precious possessions in their vehicles. Danny and I wondered what we would put in our car if we had evacuate. I know I already had the two most precious things with me - Danny and Bryce. What else would I pack? Hard to say. All I know is that last weekend was tough. Now that I have settled back in to life as usual in Tupelo, we are busy as ever. Bryce started school two days a week. Danny is swamped with tedious lawyer stuff. And, I can't seem to get out from under that pile of laundry that keeps getting taller.







Southbound Traffic

Car pulled over for a break

Slow moving...

Yes, the car was on. No, we were not moving.


No comments: